Finding out you’re pregnant is SO exciting, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll soon be anxious and ready to know everything that is going on with your body. Here are some of the best books and apps that have helped me so far.
- What to Expect When You’re Expecting by Heidi Murkoff – This is pretty much the pregnancy Bible. It can be a little overwhelming at first, so I’d recommend only reading through as far as you are along (or close to), so you’re reading a little each month instead of trying to absorb the whole book at once. Also, I’ve heard a few friends complain that the sections about various complications freaked them out. My advice – skip them! Unless they specifically apply to you, I see no reason to learn everything that could go wrong.
- Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy – My friend Stephanie recommended this one to me, and appreciated it so much I’ve read it and already passed it on to a pregnant friend. It’s a quick, easy read. She warns you about some freaky symptoms to come but overall makes you relax about the whole process – things might get weird, but they happen to everyone!
- Eat This, Not That When You’re Expecting by Dr. Jennifer Ashton – I had the pleasure of meeting and hearing Dr. Ashton speak at the Living in Vitality conference in Kansas City last year. One thing she said really resonated with me, “We should all eat like we’re pregnant.” It’s helped me think about the importance of nutrition for myself and my growing baby. Her book has practical advice for the modern woman and makes navigating the many dietary restrictions of pregnancy much more manageable. Unfortunately, Sour Punch Straws were not on the “eat this” list.
- Ovia Pregnancy – I start a new week of pregnancy each Saturday, and stay up until midnight every Friday just so I can see the new fruit/vegetable, Parisian bakery item, animal or random fun & games object that my baby is now the size of! I also love Gina’s weekly videos. The app has new content each day, shows you the size of baby’s hand each week and lets you add your symptoms and milestones.
- The Bump – I love the simple way this app is formatted, with new content written by The Bump staff but also a whole section of “real answers” where you can see real moms’ answers to common pregnancy questions. There’s also an awesome registry feature that I have yet to take advantage of but plan to!
- The Mama Notes – Ok, so this isn’t technically an app (maybe someday), but I’ve really enjoyed the blog TheMamaNotes.com and their social media channels. Under “Motherhood” there’s an entire section on Pregnancy that I’ve found to be full of great tips – everything from what to pack in your hospital bag to best places to buy maternity clothes. And I’ve really enjoyed reading the beautiful Birth Stories!
There are SO many pregnancy resources out there, but these are definitely my favorites so far. I’d love to hear if you have others that you would highly recommend!